This week on Dinner with Akshay, Chef Akshay teaches us how to make preserved lemons, which will help add that delicious lemony taste to a dish. Preserved lemons are quick and easy to make and are a common ingredient in Moroccan and Middle Eastern cooking. Scroll down for the full recipe and if you have any questions or feedback, visit our Facebook or Instagram posts (@onekingwest) to leave a comment.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: Marinate for 30 days
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
5 lemons (cut in half)
3 lemons (juiced)
1/4 cup of salt
6 bay leaves
1 tbs. of pink peppercorn
1 stock of lemon grass (cut into small pieces)
HOW TO PREPARE (FIND A STEP-BY-STEP VIDEO DEMONSTRATION ON SOCIAL MEDIA):
- 1. Juice 3 lemons and set aside.
- 2. Cut the 5 lemons into halves and set aside.
- 3. Take a sterilized mason jar or Cambro container and add salt to the bottom.
- 4. Salt the lemons and pack into mason jar/Cambro container and press down.
- 5. Add spices and bay leaf.
- 6. Repeat the process until all lemons are salted and packed down. Add the lemon juice over top.
- 7. Cover tightly and store in the fridge. If packing in a mason jar store in a cool dry place for 30 days.
- 8. After 30 days, squeeze as much as juice, strain, and store to make a dressing or sauce for a seafood dish.