Click Here to receive our best rate guarantee & free wireless Internet
The prestigious address of One King West was first home to the original Michie & Co. Grocers & Wine Merchants, established in Toronto in the mid-1800s.
In 1879, the much sought-after Yonge and King location changed owners to become home to the head office of The Dominion Bank, a residency that would last an impressive 126 years.
In 1914, the bank’s rise to national prominence led to the construction of an early 12-story skyscraper. Beaux-Arts in style with Renaissance Revival detailing, the building was a major work of Darling and Pearson, Architects, in co-operation with Harkness and Oxley, Engineers.
In 1955, a merger with the Bank of Toronto resulted in the formation of The Toronto-Dominion Bank. Following this, many head office functions were relocated to the current Toronto-Dominion Bank building, while a branch continued to operate at 1 King West into the nineteen-nineties.
Ownership once again changed hands in 1999. Stanford Downey Architects carefully redesigned the Dominion Bank Building, now deemed a Heritage Building, for residential use. This redesign saw the creation of the second tower adjacent to the building, aptly nicknamed “The Sliver”, due to its dramatically slender profile.
The here and now
By 2006 the transformation was finally complete, resulting in One King West Hotel and Residence. Today, guests of the hotel are treated to the historical splendour of the Dominion Bank Building along with the modern sophistication of luxurious hotel amenities and services.