From 1879 to present Our story
King and Yonge Streets
The southwest corner of King and Yonge has always been an anchor of economic, cultural and social activity.
In 1879, the much sought-after Yonge and King location changed owners to become home to the head office of The Dominion Bank, a residency that would last an impressive 126 years.
The 12-story ‘skyscraper’ of Dominion Bank was amongst Toronto’s signature buildings upon its completion in 1914.
In 1914, the bank’s rise to national prominence led to the construction of an early 12-story skyscraper. Beaux-Arts in style with Renaissance Revival detailing, the building was a major work of Darling and Pearson, Architects, in co-operation with Harkness and Oxley, Engineers.
The Vault was meant to impress and illustrate the strength and stability of Dominion Bank.
The Vault is approximately 33 feet square by 25 feet high and its the circular door is 4 ½ feet thick and weighs over 40 tons. Before its installation, the door was dragged up Yonge Street by 19 horses and 8 men, causing a huge stir; city newspapers followed the journey closely and many residents came to witness the spectacle.
Grand Banking Hall
The Grand Banking Hall is a treasured example of renaissance architecture and one of the greatest rooms in North America.
In 1955, a merger with the Bank of Toronto resulted in the formation of The Toronto-Dominion Bank. Following this, many head office functions were relocated to the current Toronto-Dominion Bank building, while a branch continued to operate at 1 King West into the nineteen-nineties.
Historical yet Modern
One King West Hotel & Residence set the trend towards preservation and restoration in modern Toronto’s urban real estate development.
A New Beginning
In 2006, the bank underwent a contemporary, $100 million transformation. Honouring the historical bones, Stanford Downey Architects Inc. thoughtfully designed a 51-story condominium tower atop, nicknamed "The Sliver". Appropriately named and adored, it stands 578 feet and boasts the most slender height to width ratio in the world, making it one of the tallest residential buildings in Canada.